If you are interested in filling a vacant precinct chair position please email our Party Chair, Kim Gilby, at firstname.lastname@example.org
How Can I Become a Precinct Chair If I Was Not Elected?
When no one runs in the primary election to become a precinct chair of a voting precinct, or when a precinct chair resigns, the WCDP Executive Committee (EC) can appoint someone to fill the vacant chair position.
What Is the Application Process?
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application via e-mail to the WCDP Party Chair. Your letter should highlight aspects of your background and personality that would enable you to become a great precinct chair.
Letters of application are used by the committee to evaluate an applicant’s interest level, how familiar an applicant is with the responsibilities of being a precinct chair, and how prepared an applicant is to take on these responsibilities.
Your letter must:
- Explain why you want to become a precinct chair.
- Explicitly state your intention to attend all monthly meetings of the Williamson County Democratic Party EC which usually are held at 6:45 p.m. on the second Thursday of every month.
- Include your name, precinct number, mailing address, street address if it differs from your mailing address, phone number(s), and e-mail address.
To demonstrate your organizing abilities, your interest in politics, and/or your involvement in your community, your letter could include such things as:
- How you have supported the Democratic Party or Democratic candidates in the past (e.g., worked on campaigns, staffed Democratic Party booths at community events, made phone calls to get out the vote, block-walked in your neighborhood, etc.)
- How you have been involved with other organizations that have served your community or causes.
- Information about your education, training, activities, personality, etc. that would help you in your role as precinct chair.
- Plans you have contemplated so far for organizing the Democrats in your precinct.
After reviewing your application letter, members of the Candidate Recruitment Committee may contact you by telephone to discuss your application, perhaps to ask you to clarify something in your letter, or to ask for additional information. Based on the information the committee has garnered from your letter and any interviews, the committee will decide whether to recommend your appointment to the EC. You will be informed of the committee’s decision before the committee informs the EC of its recommendation.
Your candidacy for precinct chair will be announced at the first monthly meeting of the EC following the completion of steps I and II. You will be introduced to the EC and members of the party who are attending the meeting. The committee will present its recommendation to the EC. You will be given an opportunity to speak on your own behalf if you so choose.
The EC will formally vote in the open meeting whether to appoint you as the precinct chair of your voting precinct.
Submit your letter of application by e-mail to:
Kim Gilby, Party Chair